Is that all we need to worry about? Eating so much we can’t move for a week? I’d love to say ‘yes’ however there’s a lot that can go wrong during the festive season.
The most obvious thing that tends to go wrong is the Turkey! We’ve all seen the adverts around this time of year of a giant turkey running around ruining Christmas. Food poisoning is the most common illness during Christmas. The most common cause.. Not thoroughly defrosting the turkey! It may not have occurred to you but a family size turkey needs to be defrosted in the fridge for 2 days! So unless you want to be on the toilet for the rest of the week (my guess is no you don’t) just follow the defrosting advice and cook your turkey properly.
Christmas is also the time to enjoy those extra days off with a little ‘tipple’ of wine, brandy, sherry etc. Combined with the boozy Christmas pudding, cake and liquor chocolates this is why it is the season to be ‘merry’. Alcohol consumption increases by 40% in December! Here are a few funny (and real) festive figures of the reasons why people end up in hospital over Christmas.. Enjoy!
- 2,080 due to being carried, and dropped by another person last year
- 46,460 due to falling from something on the same level (most common.. falling off the toilet!)
- 18,610 due to people striking themselves against an object (like walking into a wall!)
- 18,570 were injured due to the simple slip on ice or snow
- 3,680 due to a rider of an animal/ animal drawn vehicle transport accident
- 790 due to contact with hot appliances
- 1,420 due to falling from trees
- 4 broken arms due to cracker pulling accidents
- 5 people injured by out of control ‘Scalextric’cars (1999)
- 18 people had serious burns trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.
- 19 people have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas decorations were chocolate (1997-2000)
- 31 people have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.
A non-christmas one that made me laugh was this:
- 460 admitted in 2009/10 due to contact with a powered lawn mower!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone! Xx